Cross and Candle
The Lord's Prayer - The Fourth Petition (2)
Give us this day our daily bread.
For this devotion you'll need to prepare a simple recipe. Bake some brownies, cookies, or a trail mix snack, etc. Bring the prepared snack and the recipe to the devotion meeting place.
1. Gather with your children at the kitchen table or coffee table.
2. Set up your cross and light your candle and say to the children: The Bible says that Jesus is the Light of the world.
3. Recite this litany with children echoing the words:
4. Ask the children what you have on the table. They will most likely give you the title of the recipe. If not show them the title on the recipe card.
5. Say, "Well, in a way this is not (name of snack). In a way it's a collection of a lot of things that, when put together, make a snack."
6. Show the children all the ingredients needed to put the snack together. Also, discuss how important it is to use the exact amount listed to make the recipe come out just right. Also, the right temperature in the oven, right amount of baking time, etc. could be discussed.
7. Ask, "When we say, in the Lord's Prayer, give us this day our daily bread, are we asking just for bread?"
8. Talk about all the "ingredients" that go into the bread we ask for. (the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat, the homes that shelter us, the governments that protects us, etc.). See how many things the children can add to the list or "daily bread."
9. The thing to remember is that when we pray for "daily bread" we're including everything we need to live this life and that comes from God's gracious hand.
10. Okay, we've waited long enough. Time to have a snack! :)
Sing together: "Come, Lord Jesus. Be Our Guest" LSB, 776 (or any table prayer you enjoy as a family or from school).
Come, Lord Jesus, be our guest,
And let these gifts to us be blest. Amen. Amen. Amen.
Prayer: Dear Father, help us to come to you every day with thanksgiving for the many gifts You bless us with. You are our good and gracious Father in heaven. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.
For truly I say to you, If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there, and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.'