Cross and Candle
The Lord's Prayer - Second Petition, Part 1 "Thy Kingdom Come"
What is the kingdom of God?
For this devotion you'll need a crown that would fit anyone in the family, either made out of paper or, you may have a toy tiara that could be used as a crown.
1. Gather with your children at the kitchen table or coffee table.
2. Set up your cross and light your candle and say to the children:
The Bible says that Jesus is the Light of the world.
3. Recite this litany with children echoing the words:
4. Play a game of hide and seek. You could play several games but in the end there should be one winner who hid the best and he or she becomes the "invisible" king or queen of the world and will wear the crown for the devotion or even all week long. :-)
5. Let's talk about an invisible king or queen. How would that person rule? What would be good about being invisible? What would be hard? Would an invisible ruler still have power? How?
6. We have a King who in some ways is invisible to us. We can't see Him but we can see what He has done and can do. We pray in the Lord's Prayer, "Thy kingdom come." How do you think God's kingdom comes? It's sort of invisible but in some ways we cfan still see it. How does it come to us? (Answer: through His Word and by His Spirit)
7. So when we pray "Thy kingdom come" we're praying that the power of God's kingdom would always come to take care of us, protect us, forgive us, and love us through His Holy Word.
8. Let's think of some ways that God answers our prayer and brings His kingdom to us.
9. Although it seems like God is an invisible King we see His kingdom come to us in lots of ways.
Sing together: "Your Kingdom, O God, Is My Glorious Treasure"
Your kingdom, O God, is my glorious treasure,
My pearl of incomparable worth,
Its value exceeds every standard of measure,
Surpassing the wealth of the earth.
Lord, give me Your grace and the power of the Spirit
To value this treasure aright
That nevber allured by the world,
I inherit Your kingdom of glory and light.
Prayer: Dear Jesus, Your true kingdom is not in this world. But we know you still are our king here and still protect us and give us your riches. Help us to seek your kingdom in your Word. Amen.
We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.