Cross and Candle
The Sixth Commandment - God's No
For this lesson each child and/or adult needs a favorite stuffed animal.
1. Gather with your children at the kitchen table or coffee table.
2. Set up your cross and light your candle and say to the children: The Bible says that Jesus is the Light of the world.
3. Recite this litany with children echoing the words:
4. Talk about your stuffed animal as if it was a real pet. What kinds of things could you and your pet do that would make you both happy?
5. What might your pet do that would upset you? What might you do that would upset your pet?
6. When you and your pet are upset or angry with each other what should happen next?
7. Would it be okay to throw your pet away or give it to someone else when things don't go well?
8. How can you resolve those problems?
9. God wants us to be faithful. We can't abandon pets or friends when things don't go well. Sometimes when we're angry we do things without thinking clearly. Then we might be unfaithful to a pet or friend.
10. This is good practice for some day in the future when we have a husband or wife. Things won't always go well but God will help us to be faithful even when we're angry and upset.
11. Let's say the 6th Commandment: "You shall not commit adultery." Adultery is unfaithfulness.
12. Give your pet a hug and think of something you could do to show you are and are faityhful to it. :)
Sing together: "Great is Thy Faithfulness"
Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee.
Thou chabgest not; Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever wilt be.
Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!
Dear Jesus, thank you for teaching me about being faithful in the way that you came to save me and take me to heaven to be with you. Help me learn to be a faithful friend. Amen.
Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.
1 John 3:18