Cross and Candle
The Apostles' Creed - The Second Article - Part 1
For this devotion you'll need some notecards or small pieces of paper, pencil or pen, and tape or pins, and a Bible. In preparation, think of names of famous people or book characters that the children would know and write the names on the notecards.
1. Gather with your children at the kitchen table or coffee table.
2. Set up your cross and light your candle and say to the children: The Bible says that Jesus is the Light of the world.
3. Recite this litany with children echoing the words:
4. Start by taping or pinning names on the back of family members who are old enough to know the characters or people. Show the children how to ask "yes" and "no" questions to try to figure out who the person is on their backs. For example, "Am I a boy?" "Am I a cartoon?" Everyone has to figure out who he or she is. If you're having fun and have enough names play another round.
5. Ask the children, "What would you say if someone asked you, 'Who is Jesus?'" Try to avoid answers that tell what Jesus did. That's for the next lesson. Write down some of the responses if you want to.
6. In the Apostles' Creed we start the second article by saying, ...And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord,... When we say that we say that we believe Jesus is God's only Son, and that He is our Lord.
7. Can you name any things that Jesus isn't? Make a list of how Jesus is like us and how he is different from us.
8. What do people in the Bible say about who Jesus is?
Sing together: "Jesus, Name Above All Names"
Jesus, name above all names, Beautiful Savior, Glorious Lord,
Emmanuel, God is with us, Blessed Redeemer, Living Word.
Prayer: Jesus, you are many things to me but above all my Savior and Redeemer. Keep me always as your precious child and take me to heaven to live with you there. Amen.
We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.