Cross and Candle
The Eighth Commandment - God's No
For this lesson you should have a Bible ready and you imagination.
1. Gather with your children at the kitchen table or a coffee table.
2. Set up your cross and light your candle and say to the children: The Bible says that Jesus is the Light of the world.
3. Recite this litany with the children echoing the words:
4. Start by assigning everyone in the family a new name. One person should be called "Child of God" but all the others should have bad names such as "Mean Mom" or "Despicable Dad" or "Bratty Baby".
5. Carry on a conversation in which each person takes on the identity of the name they've been given.
Mean Mom: "Come to dinner now you crabby kids. You always come to the table after the food is cold!"
Despicable Dad: "I'm too busy, Mean Mom. You don't make anything good to eat anyway."
____________(Child's name): "If Despicable Dad doesn't have to come then I don't need to stop playing my game either!"
Mean Mom: "Come to the table right now!!"
Bratty Baby: "Whaaaa!" No! No! No!"
Child of God: "Come on everybody. Mom worked hard on this meal. Let's be thankful and come and eat when she calls."
6. Continue this conversation in a silly way but be careful not to get "too mean".
7. Have a conversation about how this experiment worked. How do people live up to their names? We don't usually give names that have a special meaning when our children are born but we want people to think of positive things when they do say or hear our name.
8. How do you feel about the name "Mom" or "Dad"? What do you think people think of when they hear your name?
9. Remember that your have a very important name besides the one you put on your school papers or sign on your checks. It's the name "Child of God" and it was give to your at your Baptism.
10. Read John 1:42. In this passage Jesus changed Simon's name to Cephas or Peter which means "rock". Why do you think Jesus did that? What was He trying to teach Peter about his name? How did his name change, change Peter?
11. Let's say the Eighth Commandment together one more time. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
Sing Together: "God's Own Child" LSB, 594:1
God's own child, I gladly say it: I am baptized into Christ!
He because I could not pay it, gave my full redemption price.
Do I need earth's treasures many? I have one worth more than any
That brought me salvation free lasting to eternity!
Prayer: Dear Jesus, You have blessed me and all other Christians with a most wonderful name, Child of God. Help me to honor and support that name in myself and in others with the help of your Holy Spirit. Amen.
For truly I say to you, If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there, and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.'