Cross and Candle
The Apostles' Creed - Second Article, Part 2
In this lesson we're going to talk about what Jesus did and why? You'll need sheets of paper to make lists on, a pencil or pen, and a Bible.
1. Gather with your children at the kitchen table or coffee table.
2. Set up your cross and light your candle and say to the children: The Bible says that Jesus is the Light of the world.
3. Recite this litany with children echoing the words:
4. Let's talk about the jobs we do in our family. Make a list for everyone, even the baby, if there is one in your family. Ask for the children to name some of the things each person in the family does and make a list for each. This is the start of thinking about vacation.
5. After the list is made have a discussion about why people do the things they do in the family and what might happen if we didn't do our jobs.
6. Make a list of the things Jesus did. If we follow along in the Apostles' Creed the list will include:
7. The children may think of several other things Jesus did on earth, such as miracles, parables, prayers, teaching.
8. As the children why Jesus did all that? John 3:16
9. Talk about what might happen if Jesus hadn't done all that for us.
10. What should our response be when we learn about all that Jesus has done for us?
Song: "Jesus in the Morning"
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus in the morning, Jesus at the noontime
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus when the sun goes down.
Thank him, Thank him, Thank him in the morning, Thank him at the noontime,
Thank him, Thank him, thank him when the sun goes down.
Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, how can I ever thank you for all that you've done for me? Help me to love others the way you have loved me. Amen.
Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.
1 John 3:18