Cross and Candle
The Fifth Commandment - God's No
For this lesson you'll need a set of dominos or some other object like that so you can set the pieces up and push the first one so the all fall down. (Domino Affect?) . A piece of paper with pencil and red crayon cold also be used.
1. Gather with your children at the kitchen table or a coffee table.
2. Set up your cross and light your candle and say to the children: The Bible says that Jesus is the Light of the world.
3. Recite this litany with children echoing the words:
4. Have you ever tried to set up dominos like this? Parent could set up a short line of dominos so that when you push the first one they all fall down.
5. Have children try to make one or two for a few minutes.
6. The interesting thing about this game is that you don't havbe tyo touch any of the dominos but one and then the all are affected. When one falls, the all fall. One domino falling leads to the fall of all the dominos.
7. Put the dominos away and take out your paper for a short discussion.
8. Let's say that first domino is named "Teasing". When we start teasing each other what can that lead to in the second, third, fourth, etc. domino? Or let's say the first domino is "Name-calling". What are the other dominos called?
9. Eventually these types of things lead to anger and anger can lead to something worse like... (Name some things.)
10. The Fifth Commandment says You shall not murder. But the Bible tells us that murder is more than killing. It's also hatred and revenge. Take a look at Matthew 5:22.
11. So let's make a list on this sheet of paper of the things that you think could lead to anger and even worse, to hatred.
12 . Now let's take a red crayon and make "Stay Away Sign" like a circle with a diagonal line througn it. Let's put this paper up on the refrigerator or someplace in the house and make a deal to "stay away" from these things that can lead to anger and hatred for us or our family and friends.
I was in slavery, sin, death, and darkness;
God's lkove was working To make me free.
Therefore I'll say again: God loves me dearly,
God loves me dearly, Loves even me. -LSB, 392:2
Prayer: Heavenly Father, I confess that sometimes I do things that cause anger and sometimes I get angry when I shouldn't. In those times remind me of your faithfulness and love and mercy. Amen.
Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.
1 John 3:18